Next Board Meeting will be held on 11.09.2017 at 12.30 pm
BY - PRODUCTS OF THE SUGAR MAKING PROCESS
(i) Molasses

Molasses is the only by-product obtained in the preparation of sugar through repeated crystallization. The yield of molasses per ton of sugarcane varies in the range of 4.5% to 5%. Molasses is mainly used for the manufacture of alcohol, yeast and cattle feed.

Alcohol in turn is used to produce ethanol, rectified spirit, potable liquor and downstream value added chemicals such as acetone, acetic acid, butanol, acetic anhydride, MEG etc.

The state government controls the export of molasses through export licenses issued every quarter. Molasses and alcohol-based industries were decontrolled in 1993 and are now being controlled by respective state government polices. Nearly the industrial alcohol manufacturers consume 90% of molasses produced and the remaining 10% is consumed by the potable alcohol sector.
Press Mud
 
 
 
 
mail to